Thursday, 7 January 2016

Metal Gear Solid

In an early post,  I encountered the hardest metal I'd ever personally come across,  the inner tube for the pedals. Well,  today I came across something even tougher - the dirt shield I bought to try block off some of the gaps around the bell housing.

I ordered the dirt shield without talking to the company,  which was a mistake. They had 2 on their website,  one for the type 9 gearbox and one for an RS200. I assumed the latter would fit my MT75 (I don't know why) but nope:

So I decided to cut it up and use separate pieces and this is where I discovered the amazing hardness of whatever its made out of! My trusty hacksaw was getting through it but at an almost invisible pace,  I destroyed the blade of a coping saw and finally had to resort to my jigsaw. It was quicker but the noise was unbelievable.

Anyway,  I've got 3 pieces to use when I come to joining the engine up. Below is an example of one of the gaps I want to block up:

I also sawed off some more of the bell housing around the starter motor as others have found they needed to do this.

Hopefully get the engine in at the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment