Saturday 30 April 2022

The Spanish Inquisition

 Well, this one was expected - Zedster's first rolling road session.

I wasn't looking to squeeze more power out, more to fix the cold idle and tidy up high rev hesitancy. I was very worried about doing this; I've read too many horror stories of cars having problems during/after the session and I wasn't helped when I first turned up, John took one look at my car and said, "yeah, had a couple of propshafts go on these before"!!

I almost turned round right then. 

Turned out, he meant 4 out of the hundreds he's done, so not too bad.

I'll put you out of your misery - Zedster survived fine, although listening to the engine being revved to the limiter was a bit scary. 

After setting up and a few tweaks, first was setting a baseline; recorded 155bhp and 140lb/ft torque, pretty good for a NA Zetec on a basic plenum. At this point, John found my fan isn't working - not a problem for this session but annoying for me as I was planning to go to Stoneleigh tomorrow.

Next was the main session, with me crossing all my fingers:


Finally, 3 hours after we started, the final result; 165bhp and 152lb/ft torque:


Not too shabby and John said it was one of the better Zetec results he has had. Most importantly, I could drive home rather than waiting for a recovery truck. 

On the way home, I couldn't feel the extra horses particularly but a much smoother engine from stationary and while going up through the gears and very smooth at small throttle inputs, like when trickling along in traffic. 

Weirdly, something he has done has kicked my temp gauge into life, although it shows 80 when it should be 100 but at least it shows something and I'll be able to tell if it's going too high. 

I think I will risk the trip up to Stoneleigh tomorrow and hope to buy and fit a new fan while there.


No comments:

Post a Comment