Monday 25 April 2022

What's that smell?

 Cheese, that's what...stilton, to be exact, on the annual Stilton Cheese Run from Uppingham in Leicestershire to Stilton in Cambridgeshire.

I last did this run 4 years ago and this was the first one post-Covid, so felt like a good time. The weather was lovely (again - how do they fluke it?) and this time, I dragged my son along for the ride (I say 'dragged' - he would drive to buy a pint of milk):


We had a great thrash for 130 miles or so up to Uppingham; a little boring motorway to get us past London and then some wonderful, clear A and B roads north. I had my camera on so I may add some video to this post in future.

A little awkward when we arrived at Uppingham - they weren't too keen to let my son's 2018 Hyundai into the town centre where the proper classics were parked but they relented in the end - we were only there for 15 minutes or so as we got there late and most cars had already set off on the actual run.






 That is a stylish Alfa Romeo Montreal, totally ruined by the modern, black wheels - what was the guy thinking?!

We had arrived too late to meet up with the RHOCAR group, so we set off along the route, tagging on behind some beautiful Sunbeam Alpine's (fun fact: the first ever James Bond car):


As we basically skipped the first part of the run, we got to the halfway stop before the other RHOCAR people. Some great cars parked up:








Zedster looked a little out of place:


...but not as bad as my son's car:


He'd blagged his way in - the woman on the gate said, "is this a classic car?" and she believed him when he said yes! I had paid for his entry, so I didn't feel too bad...

We left here (passing a DB5 at the gate, waiting for recovery after his brakes had failed and had rolled into another car!) for a 40 minute meander to Stilton. The slow pace was actually really enjoyable and relaxing with the sun shining and a long line of kits and Mini's stretching ahead...

Lunch at The Bell in Stilton was scrumptious (although they still haven't improved the service speed) and we set off home, cross-country in beautiful afternoon sunshine. We had planned to join the M1 as were getting tired but as soon as I saw a queue on the slip-road, I abandoned that idea and we carried on cross-country down to the M25 - a brilliant decision as the roads were lovely.

We finally got home after 290 miles and 7.5 hours of driving time (my son's car tells him all this) and I slept VERY well that night.

Rolling road session next week (not really looking forward to that - he better not break Zedster!) and then Stoneleigh on Sunday - busy times.

As promised, the video:




No comments:

Post a Comment