Sunday 10 April 2022

Is the honeymoon over?

 A lovely sunny and chilly day meant a run out with my son in his latest fire-breathing monster; a 300bhp Hyundai i30N. The damn thing is stupidly fast and my son stays 3 inches from my rear panel at all times...i may have to start charging him rent to stop him buying these cars.

We started off driving to the Riverside Forest Row meet, just it's second start since Covid. Sadly, it's not back to its best yet so we strung it out for an hour; a couple of nice V8 mustangs and a very original looking 50s Jaguar thing (sorry, couldn't find the owner to ask what it was).

We then went cross-country to Hawkhurst Fisheries for a nice lunch; took some bumpy B-roads to get there, which weren't great but some nicer A-roads back made up for it. 

Unfortunatley, my temp gauge still doesn't work; it does move very slightly now but that's it. I'm suspecting an electrical reason but no idea what. My voltmeter is also showing only 13.3 volts on the move, a good 0.6 volts too low which doesn't sound like a lot but is a little worrying.

My coolant leak is still there, small but there and not obvious where it is coming from. 

More of a worry to me is that I'm not enjoying my drives in Zedster as much recently. The ride seems worse than usual (I have just bought new tyres by the way - Avons and maybe they're stiffer? I chose them mainly because they're supposed to be good in the wet, where my previous Toyos were not) and Zedster just feels less stable, with road holes causing crashing through the body and pushing the car offline - it's just not as comfortable as he used to be. 

I think I need to bite the bullet and get a rolling road session to sort out the cold running (Zedster won't idle for the first few minutes of any drive) and at higher speed, coming off the throttle causes a strange hesitation in fuelling, possibly caused by the new short throttle pedal? 

But today was the first day where I considered selling Zedster - I feel like a traitor even typing that. Hopefully, a tune and some sun will bring me back to my senses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment