Wednesday 9 September 2020

Sorry, controversial stuff

 I have tried to keep clear of all the Covid-19 issues the world is going through right now but it's impossible to ignore and I really need to vent, so my apologies for the following (and you may wish to skip this post). 

This is triggered because my Wales trip in 2 weeks is being threatened due to all the restrictions...yes, I am a selfish so-and-so.

For posterity, let me summarise - a flu mutation called Covid-19 has spread around the world since January, 2020, so far killing over 800,000 people.

Sounds horrendous, huh? And it is BUT...

  • 800,000 people represents 0.01% of the population.
  • The vast majority of deaths are old (65+) people who are already ill.
  • In a bad year, normal flu kills 600,000 people.
So, an individual has a 99.9% chance of NOT dying from this disease, even better if you're basically healthy and under 65.

But what has the world done? Shutdown, that's what. Lockdowns, restrictions on going out, eating out, working, schools - EVERYTHING. And for what? To save 0.01% of the population, most of who will probably die in the next year anyway.

Once you are dead, your problems are over but for the millions of people left behind who risk losing their jobs, their source of income, the ability to feed their kids and provide a home, this is FAR more of a disaster than the minuscule chance of dying from this disease.

The solution is simple; everyone carry on as normal and if you are in a risk category, isolate just yourself at home. Yes, horrible for those that need to isolate BUT just them, not the entire damn population!!

I just wish someone in power had the courage to say this but they never will - it is political suicide (but they often ignore the restrictions in private, as we have seen).

You may think I am a sad example of a human for saying this - in my opinion, I am just a realist. Our entire society is based on many people doing small things - we cannot afford the damage if we prevent that happening and if it goes on too long, we may not survive that damage. 

Spock said it right, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

By the way, my mum is 74 and has type-2 diabetes. She lives alone and has no friends, her only joy is seeing her grandson (my sister's son - they live 200 miles from me). I have suggested she not do that and isolate but she refuses - she would rather take the risk. If anything happened to her, I would prefer she enjoyed her life as much as she could rather than hiding away for however many years a vaccine takes (assuming that even works well - the current flu vaccination is only 60% effective).

No comments:

Post a Comment