Sunday 6 September 2020

Does it ever end?

 So I spent some time on odd jobs - cable ties in the rear bodywork to keep the high level brake light wiring in place and new foam strip round the engine bay to try keep the catches working.

A bigger job was trying to get more throttle travel. Ever since I replaced the cable on my French trip, I've had even less travel than before, which made over-taking a little hairy at times. 

The problem is that the metal end which attaches to the throttle body seems to be slightly longer now than my original cable and this is limiting how far the throttle butterfly can turn. 

I've butchered the plastic piece to give the metal end somewhere to go and it has definitely improved the amount of travel I get. However, despite recalibrating the throttle in the ECU, I get a stutter when accelerating hard, just on the initial burst - a half-second delay before the power comes in. I don't know if this is has always been there (because I have never had this much travel) or if its a symptom of my fuel starvation issue, if there is one.

I know I enjoyed building my car and voluntary upgrades are also fun but trying to fix little niggly problems is not enjoyable.

I really don't want to do anything too major before my trip in 2 weeks but I also don't want to get stranded 200 miles from home.... urghhh. I'll try a few more test drives over the next 2 weeks, see if things settle down... 

No comments:

Post a Comment