Wednesday 2 September 2020

All legal and above board

 So, today was MOT day...

The main beam problem was, as always, wiring. As soon as I took the dash off and wiggled the wire on the main beam switch, it came out the stupid butt connector. I don't recall but I must have had to extend the loom wire, which I did using a butt connector...out with the soldering iron and all fixed.

Following a recommendation, I booked in with an MOT garage that has experience with kit cars. Now, I'm not going to name names here but the test was a tad...brief. I know Zedster was fine but, if he hadn't been, this test would have been unlikely to detect that. To his credit, the guy was very thorough with the bits I don't check (brakes, bushes etc) but there were a few glaring omissions I won't go in to.

Suffice to say, it was a pass and we're all legit...

Saying that, a new problem has arisen - hot starting. I switched off when I arrived and waited 10 minutes for the paperwork to get started and when I tried to restart and drive into the bay (I sat in the car the whole time, which I liked), Zedster wouldn't start. After a few minutes, he did eventually but it wasn't reassuring.

The tester suggested fuel starvation but said there were lots of possible causes - I'm wondering if I have knackered my HP fuel pump after a couple of very hot days in the Alps on my recent trip. Also, the battery was very low after 2 weeks sat in the garage - maybe it's just that? My GPS speedo has a permanent live feed direct to the battery which is supposed to only use a few micro-amps but I guess this might add up if left for weeks? I've got the trickle charger on now.

Another couple of minor fixes needed - all the extra wiring I added for my high-level brake light needs more cable ties to keep it in place; they keep dropping out the bodywork and getting perilously close to getting tangled up in the wheel. 

Also, one of my bonnet catches keeps popping up. I noticed this in France and it never caused an issue but could do with sorting. It may just be enough to renew the rubber strip I put on the chassis rails that the bonnet sits on. It's very worn in places now and compressed - a fresh set may give some extra depth for the bonnet catches to hold on, if that makes sense.

Need to do all this before my Wales trip in 2 weeks, a repeat of the trip I did last year. Really looking forward to that...


No comments:

Post a Comment