Sunday 4 September 2022

Back in gear

 So time to repair the quickshift. I ordered some steel tube to go inside the existing tube, brought out the Dremel and drilled some holes to prepare the shift for welding:



Took it to Matt who took about 30 minutes to produce this:



More Dremel grinding tidied it up, then primer and paint to make it more presentable (not that it matters as its out of sight) :

After many discussions, I decide to try and rubber mount the whole thing, to prevent cracking again in future. I've thus fitted rubber washers like this:


Look good but Holy Sweatballs, they were an utter pig to fit. First, I had to cut down 2 sets of washers because there was not enough space for them to fit against the MT75 gearbox. Then, it took skills that Cirque de Soleil would have been proud of to get the damn things in - trying to get my chunky arms in the small gap between tunnel panels so that I could hold the rear washer in place while pushing the bolt through - it took me about 2 hours of sweating, swearing and having my arms cut to ribbons by the cable ties holding the brake lines. 

Annoyingly, it really all needs to come out again. I knew that adding the washers would move the gear lever back, so I tried to adjust it by the width of the washers but, unsurprisingly, it didn't work and the lever wouldn't slot into my gate, as before. I was just too exhausted to take it all out again just to realign it, so I'm back to my gearshift gaiter for now. 

I've not even had chance to go out and check it works - I've had a horrible flu for the last few days and I've booked an MOT for tomorrow - hopefully, I'll feel up to it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment