Sunday 27 February 2022

Split lip

 When I took the nose off to fit the new throttle cable, I noticed it was in quite a state underneath :

Having seen a FB post of someone who had fitted a splitter (for aesthetic reasons), I realised that a splitter stretching the full size of the nose might look good and prevent further damage. 

Now, the other guy had paid someone to make his splitter but that's not for miserly me. The tricky bit was the rolled edge that a splitter really needed. I'd never done something like that but after watching a YT video, how hard could it be? 

Actually, it wasn't too bad; took me a few hours of gentle hammering using my vice and various metal bits as an anvil and it was done. Don't get me wrong, look closely and it's rubbish but from a distance, perfectly acceptable:


Then a few coats of primer, black paint and lacquer:



Bolted to the nose and it looks ok:


Quite proud of my new blacksmith skills. 

Went out for a drive to test out the new throttle and, as I predicted, at slow speeds, its a bit jerkier BUT the rest of the time, it's awesome - Zedster feels so much faster, I guess because I'm effectively revving harder than before? 

Decided to brave Rykas cafe at Box Hill (I was hungry), a well known biker hangout - don't think anyone noticed me 😏

 

No comments:

Post a Comment