Friday 18 February 2022

Return of the Loud Pedal

 So GBS delivered the cable and shortened throttle kit in quick time. The new pedal is identical except for the location of the fulcrum:

Fitting the new cable was relatively painless but the throttle kit was annoying. It should have been easy really but little things ruined it. I had to take the damn thing off and on again about 5 times; the hole at the top needed to be drilled out bigger to fit the cleavis GBS supplied (why isn't it the right size?), the throttle stop bolt was impossible for my chunky fingers to get in once the pedal was in; the extra hole needed couldn't be drilled with the pedal in etc, etc. 

However, once it was finally done, it is superb; really solid and a huge improvement on the old one (along with the extra plate I added to the pedal box) :

The one weakness in the supplied throttle cable is the way GBS expect you to just wrap the cable around the square edge of the clasp that goes in the top of the pedal. It was that bad design which caused my first throttle cable to snap after just 4k miles. At some point in the past, I bought a set of metal cable bits, which included a U-shaped channeled piece which allows the cable to loop round in a neat, unstressed way (difficult to explain - hopefully the pics below make it clear) :







I'm so pleased with this job; a massive improvement over previous attempts and hopefully it will last much longer. 

I used the Emerald software to recalibrate the TPS positions (although iit shouldn't have changed) and a quick test start proved it all worked well. 

Strangely, I have had a burst of creative ideas recently. The underneath of the nose is scratched to pieces, so I've bought a new sheet of ally and I'm going to make a small splitter; really just a sheet sticking out the front an inch or 2, sprayed black and with a slightly rolled edge. Apart from looking good, it should prevent any further damage to the underside of the nose.

I've also started planning how to make a glove box in the free space of my dash and I bought this cheap unit which is just stuck on the bulkhead between the seats:

It may fall off in a week but if not, it helps to keep odds and ends rolling around the passenger footwell.

Spring is on its way and Zedster is looking gooood... 


No comments:

Post a Comment