Friday 24 July 2020

Alps 2020 - Day 6

Another scorching day greeted us for the start of our return trip.

Breakfast of Kings at McDonald's,  although probably wasn't a good idea to have a coughing fit inside. Luckily the place was empty otherwise they would probably have had to burn it down.

At this point,  my faithful guide, Graham and I split up to go our separate ways. I'd like to take this time to thank Graham for his work this week. I hope he doesn't  mind me saying that when I get to his age, I pray  I'm half as organised, physically fit and as sociable to everyone as he is. Despite owning a sat-nav, he never used it,  preferring those papery things with coloured squiggles on them. They must work because he always knew where to go and whenever I misread my sat-nav, he would take the correct turn and be patiently waiting for me after I'd turned round. His knowledge of all the routes and history of them was like having an audio version of a guide book with me - fascinating stuff.

Many thanks, Graham.

Shortly after,  I arrived at Lake Annency and it is very beautiful. I wished we'd left a bit earlier and I might have gone for a swim - it was damn hot and the water looked amazing:



Unfortunately,  I had 280 miles to get to my overnight stop and it was already almost lunch time.

I started on what I thought would be a slog along A roads but I noticed my sat-nav had suggested a route through a green bit, so I chose that. That 'green bit' turned out to be the Jura mountains and the D991 was 30 miles of heaven; twists and turns, green forests and best of all,  hardly a soul around. It turned into one of the best runs of the week and I'll add some video to this post in the next week,  hopefully. UPDATE: darn, I started my camera but I didn't realise the battery was flat, so no video, annoyingly.

The next 200 miles gradually got duller,  although that is relative - the roads had some interesting sections when it looped and dived through local forests.

Finally arrived at my gite for the night - tomorrow is a definite slog for the tunnel.  My train is booked for 6pm but I should get there before that and hopefully, they'll let me get on an earlier one.

Map of today's route:



No comments:

Post a Comment