Saturday 11 September 2021

Let's make a start

 So more work on the starter button - I spent some quality time in the toilet (true) to sort out the wiring and decided to keep it as simple as possible:


It took a while to take apart the old wiring and redo it, splicing in the new wire from the starter panel. I've done this so often now that I haven't got a huge amount of play in the wires, so the splicing had to be done with a couple of terminals - not ideal. 

I also fixed the washer button - somehow the positive wire to the switch had completely vanished!? 

I then added a plug to the panel under the tunnel top:



The moment of truth (don't forget I also had the new starter motor in) - connected the dash back, flicked the safety up and switch on, pressed the starter and.... Ignition! Not just ignition but almost instantaneous - no churning away. 

Damn, I'm good! Well, today at least... 

Spent a bit of time taping up the wires and the final result looks great:

It is weirdly satisfying pressing a button to start the engine - I'll probably get bored of it but it's fun at the moment. 

I have my Wales trip next weekend and, annoyingly, my MOT is due. More annoyingly, the dodgy guy I took it to last year isn't free so I have had to book it in with an unknown garage, the only one I could find who had a free space next week. My only concern is the emissions - I've lost the economy map I used to get through IVA, so I'll take my laptop and hope they'll let me adjust the map on the fly, if needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment