Sunday 7 June 2020

Clouds are forming....

The rattle I mentioned last time doesn't seem to be the tensioner - I took it off and it seems pretty quiet, unless it is only slightly on the way out and rattles when under tension? Very worrying...next step is to run the engine (briefly) with the belt off, so I can rule out the tensioner, water pump, driveshaft and alternator as the source.

A minor job was to try cut-down on the irritating buzz from the gearstick. Above 50mph or so, it vibrates with a high-pitched wail which I normally prevent by just resting a finger against it. It's nothing new (thankfully) but it would be nice to stop it happening. My genius idea was to hack an old mouse mat apart and fit it under the gearstick surround, with a vague H-shape in it, the idea being that the rubbery material would do what my finger does, stopping the rattle.

This was what it looked like (excuse the weird shape of my gearstick surround - I had to 'fettle' it when I first made it to allow 1st gear to be selected):


 


It is an improvement but still rattles at motorway speeds - ah well. This is a common issue with the GBS quick shift and a possible fix others have done is to replace the rod-end for a better quality item. Personally, I can't see that is the problem but the part only costs £16 so worth a shot at some point in the near future.


I've also got a new throttle cable to consider fitting (and it's at least good to have a spare), again in the future.

Had a great drive out today with the SKCC - weather lovely although the 6am start was painful for me. We had a lot of rain the night before, so there were a lot of damp roads and a couple of rear-end slides pulling out of shaded junctions - quite fun, actually:



The route included some very bumpy roads and I really thumped the bottom of Zedster a few times - sounded horrendous but hopefully no long-term damage. I looked at my seat bolts a few weeks ago and they're worn down to the nut now!

Still hoping to do my Alps trip (now July 20th), providing France cancels it's quarantine policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment