Monday 6 May 2019

Stoneleigh once more

It's that time of year and the annual pilgrimage to Stoneleigh for the National kit car show.

This year, I met up with a few people from SKCC and we took an enjoyable run through Berkshire and Worcestershire. I had planned to make a video on the run but my cheap camera decided to not work (I may have to bite the bullet and buy a GoPro).

The show itself was as good as always and slightly busier than last year, despite the weather not being as good. As always, there were the usual rumours that this would be the last year of the show which, strangely, I heard a lot last year as well 😊










As magazine editor for the UK Kit Car club (aka RHOCAR), I was re-elected at the AGM which is always held at Stoneleigh. The club is doing quite well now,  membership up to 200 which is good news.

Because of the AGM, I didn't leave Stoneleigh until about 6.30pm but the run back was good fun - some great roads and not a huge amount of traffic at that time. I thought I was 'making progress', overtaking a few dawdlers, when a fire-breathing Holden V8 flew past me.

Ten minutes later, I noticed my voltmeter had dropped down to 11v  - not a good sign. As background, I've often had concerns around the wiring into my alternator because my battery light is always on which, in theory, means something is wrong. The night before Stoneleigh, I had been fiddling around with the wires and one came off the spade terminal! So I had re-crimped both plugs and they all seemed fine on the way up.

So, I pulled over to have a look and when I gently pulled the wires, they came out of the butt connector further up the line! With no crimper handy, I just twisted the wires together and, for the first time ever, I've used gaffer tape to get Zedster going 😊 - I didn't have any insulation tape to cover the join.

Early in my build, I posted a question on a forum about how best to join 2 wires; butt connectors or soldering. The responses stretched to 3 pages and the result was a 50/50 split. As my soldering skills are rubbish, I decided to use the butt connectors and I now wish I hadn't - this is the 3rd time I've had problems with dodgy electrical connections and my loom is dotted with butt connectors 😕

Anyway, got home of and, apart from the electrical problem, Zedster was superb; 250 miles in the day, about 70 of those at high motorway speeds - superb!

Track day in 2 weeks 😨

No comments:

Post a Comment