Tuesday 28 May 2019

My Kingdom for a car lift

A job that would take 5 minutes with the car up in the air (removing the starter motor) takes me an hour of sweating, lying awkwardly on my back, frantically checking that the axle stands aren't going to somehow give way with my head under the car.

So the repairs following my track day weekend are under way. These are:

1. Replace HT leads (done - not exactly tricky).
2. Rewire the plug into the coil pack.
3. Fix/replace the starter motor.

Once the starter motor was off, the problem is more obvious - the 12v terminal has come loose (arrowed in pic below) and as the vibrations have moved it about, I think it snapped the copper wire that was soldered inside the body of the motor. So, the motor worked on the lucky times the wire (circled in the pic below) made some contact with the place it used to be soldered to and other times, contact was lost and no starter motor. The track day made it worse but it was a problem before that.


As you can see, I've pulled it all apart, so it's history and I'm going to have to get a new one - great.

No comments:

Post a Comment