Thursday 8 June 2023

Beauty and the Beast Tour, 2023 - Prologue

 So the great adventure starts on Saturday at 5am - let's hope it goes well; my definition of success is getting back home in one piece - anything more is a bonus (setting the bar low).

I hope to be doing daily updates so tune in for fun and (hopefully) sun...

The Route


About 2,000 miles, anti-clockwise around France - pretty simple, huh?!

Highlights will hopefully be:

Millau Viaduct
Cannes and the French Riviera
Route Napoleon
The Alps!
Lake Annecy
Jura Mountains
Reims race grandstand

The Cars

Zedster, obviously and you all should know all about him (read the previous 7 years of my blog!) - he is 'Beauty' in the name of the tour. 


Tagging along is my son in the 'Beast'; his 6.3L V8, 530bhp, fire-breathing monster - a C63 AMG which has a best mpg of around 20, drops down to 9mpg on a spirited run - so that will be cheap then! He's looking at almost £1,000 in petrol alone for this trip!

The People

Let me introduce my son, Jake. He turns 20 later this month and the Merc is already his 6th car, all madder than the last. I started him off with a sensible Yaris but that soon went in favour of a knackered old Golf GTi which he tuned, added wheels, wings, loud exhaust - and then, predictably, crashed it (although not really his fault, in his defence). Then Mazda MX5, Hyundai i30N, Audi S3 and now the Merc.

I keep telling him to save his money for a house but I know I wouldn't have done that in his situation; as he says, you can't do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds in a house :-). He's got 50 years to be dragged down by the pressures of Life - he should have some fun now. Yes, I'm a bad parent, what can I say...?


So...insurance is sorted, bags are almost packed, routes are downloaded, passports at the ready - en'y va!!


No comments:

Post a Comment