Thursday 10 June 2021

Grounded

 So time to improve the earth points. Turns out my alternator DOES need my engine earth - a short drive with earth disconnected showed my battery getting no charge. So, short job to sandpaper the chassis point and replace the flat washer with a spring washer, in case that helps.

Next step was an extra earth from the negative battery terminal to the starter motor mounting bolt. When I took the bolt out, it was very dirty - maybe it hasn't been making a good electrical connection with the block? 

I bought a cable from Halfords which had ring terminals attached to save me having to wait a few days for cable and separate terminals (I didn't want to miss out on the amazing weather forecast for the weekend) - it wasn't quite long enough so I've had to route it across the battery. Not ideal but hey... 


Engine fired up immediately so looks promising - see how it goes on a drive over the weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment