Friday 5 April 2019

Back to the Garage

This is actually the first time I've done some proper garage work on Zedster in a few months - by 'proper', I mean unbolting major parts and getting into the hidden depths that don't normally see the light of day.

The wiring behind my aux panel was always a mess - I'd added a few switches over time and just spliced extra wires in to existing plugs (because most things behind the panel need a switched live from the ignition). It all worked but I always had the niggling feeling it could go wrong at any time.

So, time to use a distribution box - one positive and live in from the ignition and 6 separate positive and negative terminals for various switches - all neat and tidy (in theory).

The problem with wiring is that there is little to show for your efforts, so here's a before:



...and an after:


Dull, huh? Ok, yes but trust me, it will be much more reliable than the previous setup.

Annoyingly, one of the switches seems to have broken - it's only a switch, how can it stop working?! Cheap rubbish is why - problem is, I'm not sure where to get a decent quality one from.
UPDATE: actually, the switch was fine - it was a dodgy spade connection.

I also took my centre tunnel panels off to get to the speed sensor above the propshaft but it looks fine. I've been getting occasional sporadic readings on my speedo so I assumed the sensor had moved but no. Bit worrying - I hope it doesn't mean the sensor itself is failing?

I might re-cover my tunnel panels - it's worn through on one edge and I've got lots of vinyl left over from when I did my armrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment